Most new Windows computers these days will support a basic FG|SB configuration. The best choice depends on specific exhibit/system priorities. Factors include:
- Reliability and ease of servicing, which suggests a tower PC, vs. space/architectural constraints, which may suggest a small form factor system.
- Budget constraints balanced against desired level of warranty & support.
- Extensions beyond basic functionality, including such things as high speed live capture, multiple monitors, etc. For such systems, please contact us to discuss hardware requirements.
We strongly recommend you email us the detailed specifications of your planned purchase before placing the order.
The Basics *
- Operating System: Windows 7 or XP (32 or 64 bit). (Note that we prefer 64 bit, because it gives our app [32 bit as of this writing] more memory space to work with. The only exception is for live capture systems that use particular cameras which do not have 64 bit drivers.)
- Minimum CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GigaHertz
- Minimum RAM: 3 Gigs of RAM (In most cases 4 Gigs recommended for Win7 32 bit, and 6-8 Gigs for Win 7 64 bit)
- Secondary Storage Device: A secondary non-operating system hard drive is highly recommended for video content. For pre-produced video systems this can often be an appropriately fast USB flash drive, a solid-state drive, or a fast (7200RPM or above) HDD. (Note that if the operating system runs off of a SSD, a secondary storage device is not necessary, unless your configuration pushes performance limits to the edge.)
- Static-rugged USB card: Typically, motherboard ports do not handle ESD well. A separate card should be installed to provide appropriately static-rugged ports. TechnoFrolics can provide cards for either PCIe x1 or PCI buses. The PCIe card is better-designed, and is preferred.
Getting a basic system up and running is easy and we're happy to help. For IT staff and other do-it-yourself-ers interested in much more gory detail, see this document.